Saturday, January 19, 2013

Stepping Up

I have been blessed with two beautiful children. Like every parent I have hopes and dreams for my children. I hope they grow up feeling the love I have for them. I dream they will live in a world where people are put before profit.  I wish they live to know a world where we are all equal, not because laws protect us, but because inside each individual mind there is the peaceful acceptance that we are all humans.  Flawed, different, perfect in our own way. Worth love.

I want my kids to know they are worth getting on a soapbox for.  All children are worth it.  All humans are worth it. We all deserve love and acceptance.  Love and acceptance come when we are educated.  We all deserve to be free from pollution, greed and hate. We live in an amazing time, where information is available almost instantly.  If you are willing to take the time you can learn anything. You can learn how to love, yourself, your family, your neighbor. You can learn more about how the choices you make every day impact everyone.

There are so many issues to get fired up about. We won't all share the same views, or have the same concerns, but we can learn from each other. We can empathize with each other. My soapbox is sitting on top of; normalizing breastfeeding, consumer safety, birth support, polluted air, toxic water, destroyed soil, violence, bullying, greed, over consumption, the list goes on. I wish with one step, one giant step onto my soapbox I could squash all of my concerns. But it is not that simple, and I, we, all need to step up. For our children, for their future. Be silent no more.

Life is a journey, parenting is a journey.  I hope in my journey to learn I can also teach. Learn something new every day, and teach someone something every day.  As we learn together we grow together. Growth and progress are nothing to fear. You can chose ignorance, or you can chose to learn something.

"In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught." Baba Dioum  

No comments:

Post a Comment